As Jake pointed out in the previous post we have once again decided to run The Linux Experiment. This iteration will once again following the rule where you are not allowed to use a distribution that you have used in the past. We also have a number of new individuals taking part in the experiment: Aíne B, Matt C, Travis G and Warren G. Be sure to check back often as we post about our experiences running our chosen distributions.
Here are the new rules we are playing by for this version of the experiment:
- You must have absolutely no prior experience with the distribution you choose
- You must use the distribution on your primary computer and it must be your primary day-to-day computing environment
- The experiment runs from November 1st, 2011 until January 31st, 2011
- You must document your experience
- After committing to a distribution you may not later change to a different one
For fun we’ve decided to create a series of challenges to try throughout the experiment. This list can be found here and may be updated as we add more throughout the course of the experiment.
Previously I was running KDE 4.3.3 on top of Fedora 11 (for the first experiment) and KDE 4.6.5 on top of Gentoo (for the second experiment).